Disputes often occur in the construction arena. Shackelford’s construction litigation section brings a wealth of skill, knowledge and experience to a wide variety of such disputes. A multitude of diverse clients rely on Shackelford’s knowledge to provide sophisticated and efficient representation in all aspects of construction litigation. Shackelford’s lawyers have substantial experience representing clients throughout the region in trial and appellate courts, in binding arbitration, and in pre-suit negotiations.
Construction claims are often complex and involve a number of parties. We represent property owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, materials suppliers, architects, fabricators and project engineers in a wide variety of construction disputes. This includes commercial construction disputes, as well as consumer disputes regarding residential construction (both single and multi-family housing). Shackelford’s attorneys bring their knowledge and experience to assist clients in achieving successful results in the following areas:
- Construction defect cases: A substantial portion of our construction litigation practice is devoted to prosecuting and/or defending parties in construction defect claims, such as foundation failures, structural defects, water penetration, mold, roofing, flooring, windows, soil subsidence and slope failures. These cases sometimes involve claims against insurers and home warranty companies.
- Design defects and defective specifications: We represent parties involved in claims for alleged defects in design and documentation issues.
- Construction contract disputes: We represent both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes over the interpretation and enforcement of construction contracts. We are familiar with the complex provisions in many construction agreements. We also assist clients in contract drafting and negotiation.
- Contract disputes: We resolve disputes arising from non-payment, delay, disruption, interference and loss of productivity on the construction site.
- Lien filings and all aspects of lien disputes, including foreclosure of liens and removal of invalid liens.